Thursday, April 5, 2012

Where's the Future of Learning Online Going


This week as we close up shop for our class online this semester, our discussions which centre around principles of online learning design, took a turn in the direction of future online learning participation.  I had the opportunity to reflect back on my own participation in our Pepper online learning environment, and what could have enhanced my experience.

The biggest difference for me could have been timing of my participation.  This relates to:
 Core Learning Principle #10: Everything Else Being Equal, More Time-on-Task Equals More Learning (Boethcher, p6)

As we juggle more things (ie. work, school, family,volunteer work, etc.), the more we realize how dependent we are becoming on our mobile technologies.  Shhhhhhh....there are some people out there that set limits on the use of their technology, however, I'm not necessarily one of those people.  Sure I turn the volume off in places like the library, movies, theatre, etc. but I do very much keep things running in the background so that I can keep up any time I choose to.  In terms of this course and the pepper platform, first, I think I'm actually going to miss interacting with my peers on a regular basis online.  I set up notifications in this learning environment so every time someone responds to one of my responses, I get an email--and for me this means usually first reading the notification on my blackberry.

There were times, where I would log in from my Blackberry to read a response, try to respond, but didn't get anywhere with Pepper and the Blackberry platform sadly.  For example, at the start of March break, a friend of mine and her son were visiting from out-of-province. We decided to take a drive up to Banff and Lake Louise.  Along the way, I saw an email notification about a reply to one of my posts, quickly read it and proceeded to try to respond...but alas, no-can-do, and I was stuck waiting until we returned home.
so a couple things about this situation,

  • Responses are not as timely as they could be, the conversation changes direction quickly
  • Responses once inspired by the moment, could be lost by the participants by the time they get home to access
  • Responses, could have been richer (mobile photo, voice clip, video, (etc).  
Of course, not every response needs to be completed with the use of mobile technology,  I'm suggesting just the quick replies with personal context.  Longer replies that involve literacy research and larger attachments should definitely wait until full access.  (Or at least access on a tablet with full keyboard).
I think a blended technology supported platform would be ideal electronic learning.  Learning where it's just-in-time, and customizable to the student needs and learning abilities.

The creation of knowledge:  I certainly found that knowledge-sharing and creation was a large part of our discussions, assignment-planning, journeling, theory-expeansion, etc.  As Lulee mentioneds:
   They argued that interaction was the process through which the participants negotiated their meaning and co-created the knowledge.  (Garrisson, Anderson, & Archer, 2000)


There was lots of negotiation of meaning, which made the interactions meaningful, in my humble opinion.  We also worked together to come-up with joint solutions and new ideas for creating a better online environment, one that would help address issues of social, economic and digital divide, cultural and cognitive abilities, etc. To get there, we have to be prepared for change.

Change is inevitable, and as we look at how we design and use online environments, there has to be flexibility in thinking and engaging as instructors, learners and designers.  Quinnton advises:
In order to manage such unprecedented change,  educational institutions should first identify the impact on teaching and learning that will result from the expanding presence of an information dominated world and then enter into a transitional stage of actively re-examining the design and purpose of their education delivery systems.  (p. 332)


By "actively re-examining of information and purpose", we are constantly reading ourselves for change in the learning landscape.  Let's call it agile constructivism and design for online learning environments.  Exciting times ahead...

I'm grateful to my professor and my fellow learners in CTL 1608H for my learning experience and look forward to returning to the ideas we discussed.

Shall we:
Create
Rip
Mix
Burn

References:
Boettcher, J. 2007. Ten Core Principles for Designing Effective Learning Environments: Insights from Brain Research and Pedagogical Theory. Innovate 3 (3).


Lulee, S. T. (2011). Basic Principles of Interaction for Learning in Web-Based Environment, Educause Blogs, URL: http://www.educause.edu/blog/susanlulee/BasicPrinciplesofInteractionfo/227198


Quinton, S.R. (2010). Principles of Effective Learning Environment Design. In Ebner, M. & Schiefner, M. (Eds.) Looking Toward the Future of Technology-Enhanced Education: Ubiquitous Learning and the Digital Native, 327-352.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your insights related to my blog ramblings on adult education, community development, workplace learning and social change.