Friday, March 30, 2012

Online Learning -- More Suited to Us Introverts?

As we design for online learning environments, how often is the social aspect of introversion/extroversion taken into account?  Over the last few discussions in my class, the notion of who the audience is culturally, socially, etc has come up.  While I do believe that in an online environment, there are allowances for learners to either be completely themselves or another character altogether, there is the opportunity for those who are more introverted to have an enhanced learning experience over in-person education.  As an introvert myself, I feel that there are some key justifications for this sentiment:


  1. More opportunity for reflection, critical thinking and research prior to contributing an idea, comment or answer.
  2. More opportunity in a forum to express one's full opinion and ask questions
  3. More opportunity to connect with other learners in an open or private environment.


I was inspired partially due to my experience in this course environment (as a first time Pepper user) and also by a TED talk by Susan Cain on Introverts.  Introduced to TED talks by a couple peers in this course, I've found them to be insightful, thought-provoking and some questionable, but a great source for inspiration and further inquiry into a specific topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your insights related to my blog ramblings on adult education, community development, workplace learning and social change.